Trail Butter is one of our favorite trail snacks, but we also enjoy it while traveling in our van and in many of our recipes. Here’s one of our off the bike breakfast meals —packed with carbohydrates, healthy fats and superfoods for long, sustained energy. This recipe is especially great for those who don’t consume dairy, sugar cane and peanuts. It’s gluten-free, peanut-free, vegan and paleo-friendly.
- 2 cups organic gluten-free oats
- 1 tablespoon ground chia seeds
- 2 tablespoons hemp seeds
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- 4 cups unsweetened hemp milk
- 1/2 cup coconut milk (canned)
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup (or more if you like it sweeter)
- Toppings: sliced banana, cacao powder, hemp seeds, and Trail Butter Maple Syrup & Sea Salt *there isn’t any sugar cane used in this nut butter blend
Place all ingredients in a medium-size pot. Turn heat to medium/high and cook for about 10-15 minutes, or until the oatmeal has thickened to a porridge.