The Showers Pass Cloudburst jacket series was initially introduced as option for runners looking for protection against the elements… AKA rain. As you’d expect, a jacket designed for running needs to be lightweight and dissipate heat well. Rain jackets aren’t really known for being fully waterproof as well as breathable, but that is the lofty goal. So how does the Cloudburst perform? Technically we already know the answer, as we’ve been wearing the original version of it for some time. That said, the latest iteration is our new favorite, thanks to the addition of a hood.
Features (via Showers Pass)
- Adjustable hood with reflective accents
- 3-layer eliteAIR™ fabric 43,000 breathable / 10,200 waterproof (g/m^2/24hr / mmH20)
- 4-way stretch fabric, fully seam taped
- Low profile front zipper with storm flap and reflective trim
- Large core vents at front double as mesh pockets
- Partially elasticized cuff for a sleek trim fit
- Back pocket with reflective trim
- Jacket can pack down to fit inside back pocket
- Double cinch cord at hem
- Soft moisture-wicking lining at collar
- Listed weight: 11.5oz (medium)
On the trail
The Cloudburst Hoodie is a versatile all-arounder. The combination of being waterproof, breathable, and comfortable while pushing pedals hard, running, XC skiing, or your activity of choice makes it a great go-to jacket for a wide range of conditions.
What I like most about the jacket is how comfortable it is. It really doesn’t feel like it should be as waterproof as it is based on the weight and feel.
While I haven’t tested it in a complete downpour, it’s worked well in the elements to date. To substitute for doing an activity when it’s dumping yet, we went to the old standby: the shower test.
This is where the jacket impressed me the most. It worked really, really well. I actually felt like I was getting wet after a few minutes of standing under the shower nozzle, but I was surprisingly dry, with the water beading and bouncing off. Of course, being breathable means water will eventually pass through the membranes, but for its application, it works great.
Paired with the increased level of comfort, it’s currently my favorite jacket from Showers Pass. If you’re looking for a new jacket that can handle a wide range of conditions,
The Showers Pass Cloudburst Hoodie sells for $239. Check it out at ShowersPass.com.