This weekend we headed into drizzling rain for the first rainy ride of the season. The fun lasted about 45 minutes before wet shorts had us returning to the trail head, cold, wet and a little miserable. One thing was certain: it was overdue time to invest in waterproof shorts.
Forget DWR treatment, we’re talking full blown, seam taped waterproof materials. Although softshell materials with DWR treatments can get by in casual use, trail riding is a different proposition, and shorts receive a lot of wear and tear in comparison to jackets and shells.
So what are the options to keep motivated during wet times on the bike?
Waterproof shorts, like jackets fall into two categories: overshorts, and regular shorts. Over shorts are worn over existing shorts much like a shell jacket for use in wet conditions, and tend to have a more relaxed fit.
Whether you’re looking for suitable solutions to keep commuting throughout the wet season as well as hitting the trails, here’s a list we’ve compiled to make the search a bit easier.
Raceface Agent Winter Shorts — $120
Available in red or black options, Race Face Agent Winter Shorts are fully seam-sealed waterproof shorts with a loose fit designed to accommodate knee pads. They also feature two waterproof pockets.
- 3-ply waterproof fabric.
- 10K/10K waterproof/breathability rating.
- External waistband adjustment system.
- Soft brushed inner waistband.
- Raised back panel for additional coverage while in riding position.
- Waterproof zippers throughout.
- Branded zipper pullers throughout for ease of use with gloves.
- Internal weather protecting gaiter system.
- Rear ventilation system.
The Bontrager Evoke Stormshell features a semi-fitted cut for those that prefer a more fitted short and looks to be an extremely versitile short.
- Profila Stormshell fabric is light, waterproof, breathable with stretch
- Zippered double snap front
- 2 zippered hand pockets, 1 zippered hip pocket
- 20,000mm waterproof, 20,000g/m²/24h breathability
Most of the waterproof shorts available are offered from UK brands. With similar amounts of precipitation to the northwest, its often difficult to find models in the states. The Altura Attack waterproof shorts vary from the other shorts on the list mixing materials with the use of Cordura in the seat with shell material in other areas.
- Lightweight 2 layer shell fabric protection from wind and water,
- Cordura seat panel, seam sealed at critical areas
- Metal button fly closure
- Zipped leg vents for added ventilation
- 2 front pockets with protective storm flap
- Adjustable waist band
- Relaxed Fit
Royal Racing Storm Short – $100
The Royal Racing Storm short is designed to be worn like a regular short with 4 way stretch. Fully water proof, it has a tape sealed seam interior and two zipped hand pockets. Like most of the other winter shorts, the fit is on the relaxed side and compatible with knee pads.
- Available in BLACK
- Fully water proof, breathable and stretchy “3 layer” 10,000MVP fabric
- Fully tape sealed seam interior
- X2 covered Zipped hand pockets
- Reversed Waterproof zips through out
- Ratchet adjustable waist closure
- Heat transfer logos
- Bar tacked stress points
- All ride fit
7mesh Revo Short — $225
7mesh is a relatively young company based in BC, and their take on waterproof shorts starts with fully seam taped breathable Gore-Tex materials. They’ve included both waist adjusters and a belt as well as front hand pockets.
- Fully taped GORE-TEX® construction.
- New riding gusset construction (minimizes seams where shorts/pants typically fail)
- Articulated over the knee length
- Hand pockets with drain holes
- Belt loops
- Zippered fly with snap closure
- Integrated waist adjusters
- Reflective details
NSMB.com: 7mesh Revo Waterproof Shorts Reviewed
Sized to accommodate lightweight kneepads the Pearl Izumi Men’s MTB WxB waterproof short features a relaxed fit. It’s available in black and yellow options.
- 2.5 layer WxB Laminate with woven polyester face, activated charcoal backer for durable waterproofing with maximum breathability and moisture transfer
- Fully seam sealed for waterproofing
- Relaxed fit works over liner short, three quarter tight or winter tight
- Stretch waistband with velcro adjusters for fit
- Single zippered pocket for key or change
- Reflective elements for low-light visibility
Bermstyle – Review – Pearl Izumi MTB WxB Waterproof Shorts
Bike Radar – Pearl Izumi Elite Barrier WxB waterproof Shorts Review
This 3/4 length waterproof over short from Mavic features taped seams, adjustable waist and zipped side pockets.
- 10,000 mm waterproof
- 150g weight
- Width-adjustable waistband
- Storage bag included
The Power Trail Gore-Tex Active Shorts are a minimal styled over short designed to fend off the elements.
- Small inside key pocket on waistband
- GORE-TEX® Active Product: Lightweight, extremely breathable, durably waterproof and windproof
- Grippy insert at the waistband
- Inseam length 36.5 cm / 14 inches
- Reflective piping on back
- Wear-resistant seat reinforcement
- Comfortable elastic waistband
- Reflective logo on side
IXS Nepean Rain Shorts — $70
The IXS Nepean Pro is waterproof overshort that includes a stuff sack for times it isn’t needed.
Waterproof (WP: 10’000)
Breathable (MP: 15’000)
Includes stuff sack
- Scott Helium Paclite Waterproof Short
- DHB Wickham eVent Waterproof Short
- Scott Goretex Paclite
- Maloja Stulanza
- Endura MT500
- Mavic Stratos